Inspectors shall advise all Certificate applicants that they are required to submit an SFOC application in accordance with 623.65(d)(3)(a)-(k) of the CARs
The information required by 623.65(d)(3)(a)-(j) will apply equally to all Certificate applicants regardless of the SFOC application process being used. An overview of the standard information required/expected by 623.65(d)(3)(a)-(j) is provided in Paragraphs 9.1 – 9.10 below.
NOTE: There appears to be a typo in the SI and it should reference Paragraphs 8.1 – 8.10.
If your applying as Compliant, this information may be part of your other operational manuals, and not needed to be in the SFOC application document itself:
For Compliant operators, this information may be contained in a company operations manual, a flight manual, or standard operating procedures. However, it would be expected that the applicant would clearly indicate in the SFOC application where, within these manuals, the specific information is located.
Here is a rundown of the key information that will be needed. Details can be found in the Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 Section 8.
- The name, address, and where applicable, the telephone number and facsimile number of the applicant.
- The name, address, and where applicable the telephone number and facsimile number of the person designated by the applicant to have operational control over the operation (Operation Manager).
- Method by which the Operation Manager may be contacted directly during the operation.
- The type and purpose of the operation.
- The dates, alternate dates and times of the proposed operation.
- A complete description, including all pertinent flight data on the aircraft to be flown.
- The security plan for the area(s) of operation and security plan for the area(s) to be over flown to ensure no hazard is created to persons or property on the surface.
- The emergency contingency plan to deal with any disaster resulting from the operation.
- The name, address, telephone and facsimile numbers of the person designated to be responsible for supervision of the operation area (Ground Supervisor), if different from the Operation Manager during the operation.
- A detailed plan describing how the operation shall be carried out. The plan shall include a clear, legible presentation of the area to be used during the operation. The presentation may be in the form of a scale diagram, aerial photograph or large scale topographical chart and must include at least the following information.
- Any other information pertinent to the safe conduct of the operation requested by the Minister.
As well you must state the application type being submitted:
The Certificate applicant must clearly identify which process they are applying under. Failure to do so will result in delays in receiving approval. To ensure proper use of TC resources, Inspectors receiving SFOC applications that do not clearly identify the process will immediately return the application.
Generally we suggest ordering your document in the same order as the items are listed in section 8. The application type can be noted in the introduction.
Some sections will require a fair amount of detail and you may want to break those out into further subsections for clarity.
It is a good idea to have a cover page that states what the document is and who it is from and a table of contents to list all the sections of key content.
Again make sure to fully read the Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 and ensure you include all required detail in a clean concise manner. The more structured and readable the application is the smoother the entire process will be.