The latest version of the Canadian NOTAM Procedures Manual now contains details specific to UAVs and the associated NOTAM procedures & requirements.
5.5.5 Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV)
UAV operations are conducted in accordance with a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) issued by Transport Canada or under an exemption to the requirement to operate under an SFOC. Compliance with the SFOC or operating within the constraint of the exemption should result in safe operations and, therefore, a NOTAM should not normally be required. Those UAV operators conducting flight operations under an exemption are limited to uncontrolled airspace.
The need to publish a NOTAM is determined by Transport Canada in conjunction with NAV CANADA ATS, and not left to the discretion of the UAV operator or negotiated between the aerodrome operator, the UAV operator or other parties.
TC is responsible only for the conduct of civil UAVs. The CARs do not apply to Canadian or foreign military UAVs; however, these are subject to Military Flying Orders. Military operations conducted in civil airspace (that is, outside Class F Military Restricted Airspace) require coordination with NAV CANADA and may require assistance from TC, General Flight Standards in HQ. TC Regional Offices or HQ will forward the NOTAM proposals directly to the appropriate FIC.
NOTAM on UAV shall include the following information:
- UNMANNED AIR VEHICLE (UAV) ACT
- area of activity (radius, co-ordinates, and preferably distance and direction from the nearest aerodrome, or bearing and distance from a NAVAID)
- maximum altitude above mean sea level (AMSL) or above ground level (AGL)
- relevant physical characteristics of the air vehicle: type (for example, SIRIUS, GLOBAL HAWK), weight, size, markings, etc.
- reference to an AIP Supplement if one is issued
- other relevant information can be added; for example, contact information, etc.
Example: 150001 NOTAMN CYQF INNISFAIL CYQF UNMANNED AIR VEHICLE ACT RADIUS 0.25 NM CENTRE 515919N 1141010W (APRX 8 NM SSW AD) SFC TO 350 FT AGL. WINGSPAN 40 INS. WEIGHT 5.5 LB. COLOUR BLACK. YYMMDDHHMM TIL YYMMDDHHMM